Friday, March 25, 2011

"Save My Sanity" Beach Trip!

After weeks of rain, it was time for a break! We have a upcoming vacation in May for our anniversary but I couldn't wait any longer! I bravely packed up Hailey and was determined to hit the beach by myself. I lucked out when Stephanie said she wanted to come as well, so I had some extra help that day! Thanks Steph!
We took the 1 hour 15 minute drive to Seaside and expected a cold (but no rain) day at the coast. The first thing we did upon arrival was run out to the sand and let Hailey roam the wide coast. The tide was out that day so there was miles of coast line! Perfect!
Someone in heaven loves me, because the SUN came out just a few minutes after we got there, the weather was great!
While looking out into the waves, we couldn't help but think of the tsunami that had just devastated Japan. The city we were in, Seaside, had been evacuated that day as well, in case the large tsunami hit the West Coast. Luckily, we saw little more than a high tide-but it was eerie to be out there so soon after the earthquake in Japan. You could overhear comments about it from everyone on the beach.

Stephanie was drawing in the sand with seashells, and taught Hailey to do the same. They later found small sticks to dig with, and Hailey loved it!
She was just as happy as I was the entire time!
Still digging...
We spent about a 45 minutes on the beach, and then spent an hour on the boardwalk visiting the stores and riding the carousel! Stephanie found a small, plush, blue sea turtle to take home as a souvenir from our day trip. I didn't get any pictures on the carousel because we all rode with Hailey. She cried in the beginning so I was holding onto her pretty tight! 

After we spent some time on the boardwalk we headed back down to the beach where the temperature got up to 62 degrees! We all were able to take our jackets off and play in the sand. I bought Hailey a shovel and pail to use, but turns out she would just as soon use her hands to throw the sand in the bucket! Kids!

Steph was awesome with Hailey. She helped show Hailey how to pack the sand down in the pail and create castles, which Hailey promptly stomped out!
I really didn't think it would be such a nice day, so I failed to bring any beach chairs! We did find a log to rest on for awhile.
Camp 18 is a historic logging camp located 18 miles from the coast (so aptly named). It has since been turned into a diner and tourist spot! We stopped for lunch before we headed back into Portland. 

The entire structure is made from huge logs, the biggest stretched from one end of the restaurant to the other, I tried to get a photo here...but it's pretty hard to see.

Look who we ran into! Haha! We knew Daniel was headed to the beach about 3 hours after we left, but didn't think we would cross paths. Sure enough, as soon as we walked in he spotted us! He was just headed into the beach as we were leaving.
What a great day! I actually gained a little more appreciation for where I live after realizing I can take a day trip to the beach anytime I want! I was nervous about going out by myself, but it ended up being great, a total success! At the end of our trip I had one exhausted baby!

3 comments:

Allison said...

It looks like so much fun! I'm jealous- the most we do is go to Costco! :)

Bethany Sines said...

i am SO glad you were able to get out! AND not have it be a stressful disaster! : ) yay!! steph is the cutest thing ever-i remember when she was just a little girl.

Shera said...

Don't you love days like that?? It looks like you had so much fun!! I want to go to the beach now!