Monday, April 7, 2014

Becoming Prepared: Our Start

Last spring, after hearing of a horrific tornado in Moore, Oklahoma that caused devastating destruction and left families in shambles, I decided it was time to get serious about emergency preparedness. The only thing I had in the way of a 72-hour-kit was a 12x6-inch First Aid bag we got when we married. After watching the news coverage, I was motivated and ready to take this project on. I started by researching the emergency concerns in my area (tornadoes, winter storms, house fire). With that in mind I started a list, pulled suggestions from online bloggers, and then spent time thinking about each individual's daily needs (contact lenses, binkys, medical prescriptions, hair ties and bobby-pins).

When I had completed my lengthy list, I started gathering unused items in my home and compiling them for our kits. I soon realized there was a lot missing, and headed to the store to fill in the blanks. I already had a couple carrying bags to hold our items, but decided to buy two additional large outdoor backpacks so that each family member would be able to carry his/her emergency bag if needed. I spent about $100 during that shopping trip-which made Kyle cringe at first. I mean, both of us figured we wouldn't be using most of the tools, possibly EVER! However- as we found out, you can never predict how things will be 6-months from now. As I packed up those bags in April, I had NO IDEA that in November I'd be huddled with my family in our dark basement, as a E-F4 Tornado swept through my town. Those emergency bags gave me the peace of mind I needed to stay calm, knowing that no matter what happened, we would be ready.
Washington, Illinois
November 17, 2013
I plan to update my 72-hour Bags yearly. My food items are good for 2-years, and there is nothing I need to swap more frequently. I took some advice I'd heard, and decided to make our church's General Conference weekend my yearly emergency-update weekend as well. This year was pretty simple. I added a couple items I'd forgotten last Spring, like a utility knife, work gloves, a large roll of Duct tape--and switched out most of Kate's bag. I envisioned how very unhappy she would be if all she had to eat was bottled soy-formula, and diapers that were 2-sizes too small. It is very important to update your kits! I also learned a few things from watching my friends and neighbors share their stories of survival, and the days following that tornado disaster.

  1. Many families in our town who sheltered in their basements while the tornado was overhead were found trapped-in by house debris, and couldn't get out without assistance. The basement stairwells and window-wells were filled with broken wood, boards, nails and glass. For this reason I included sturdy shoes and work gloves in each pack. Also--whistles or other noisemakers to let neighbors/rescuers know you are inside.
 2. In the days following the tornado, homeowners were required by state police to show 'proof of address' in order to get access to their damaged neighborhoods/homes and recover personal belongings. Many obviously did not have their driver license, or any paperwork to show proof of address. I included copies of all identification documents with our current address listed.
3. I learned from last season that winter storms can hit fast, and often much harder than what weatherman predict. My primary concern would be this happening while we are traveling. Our family has traveled to Indianapolis (3.5hr-drive), St. Louis (3hr-drive), Nauvoo (2.5hr-drive), and Bloomington (50-min drive) in the winter. If our car were to get stuck, or if we were suddenly unable to drive in a blizzard, or breakdown among the long sweeps of cornfields--I'd want to have my emergency bags with me. We plan to pack them in our trunk anytime we go far from home.
It is a wonderful feeling to have started our family preparedness. I feel more confident in our future knowing that I've equipped my family with much of what will be needed in any type of emergency. I can testify that the call to be prepared is not for tomorrow, but for today. It was not raining when Noah built the ark; but he built it, and the rains came.

"The best storehouse is the family storeroom. In words of revelation the Lord has said, 'Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing'...
for 'If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear.'       
President Gordon B. Hinckley

Want to check out my list? Just click HERE!

No comments: