Thursday, October 1, 2009

One Rough Night

Last night was tough. Kyle came home and fell asleep at 9:00 p.m. because he hadn't slept in two days due to a new night job he started working last week. That meant it was just baby and me all night long. :) Here was the result--->

Now, I consider myself a very capable, coordinated, put together woman (most of the time)--but my little baby girl has thrown me off course! I really shouldn't blame her, its actually my exhausted, hormonal, reconstructed body that is giving me the real grief.

Last night I fought off leaking milk all over myself, baby and bedding; dealing with severe cramps as my body tried to reorganize all my major organs post-birth; soothing and cradling my little angel while loading dirty bed sheets in the laundry at 4 o'clock in the morning (I didn't get her diaper on in time....unfortunately our sheets are not water proof) ; running to the bathroom (my bladder control is nearly non-existent) every 1/2 hour, cleaning up poopy and very wet diapers before, during and after all feedings; changing baby's outfit at 2:30 a.m., 4:30 a.m, 6:00 a.m., and changing MY outfit at 2:30 a.m. after each were soiled by some kind of bodily fluid.

I do not recommend doing any of this in the dark as things got very messy. Also, if you can manage--I DO recommend growing gumby-like arms that can reach any extra needed items during the night without you having to juggle your newborn with her balnket, diapers, nursing pads, boppy pillow and pacificer in tow.

HOWEVER-as I sit with her this morning at 7 a.m. after a successful feeding (yay!) I can't help but think I would repeat last night a million times to have these moments with her in my arms.

7 comments:

PDOTTreats said...

I used to sleep with folded towels under those leaking things to try and keep bedding dry. Good luck. They are definitely worth it until they are about 14. Just kidding.

Shera said...

oh my gosh...i am laughing so hard right now! Being a mom is so much fun. Don't worry, things get easier!! She is so cute and I am so happy for you!! I never got used to the exploding milk situation...

Anonymous said...

You are making me SO nervous! Haha! I've been enjoying great sleep for the last year and a half. I don't know if I'm ready to go back! It does get easier though! You'll forget how hard it was.

Lori said...

You are doing awesome. it gets better.

Mikael said...

wow! Sounds like a rough night. Do you actually have kyle help at night? I always thought it was such a waste to wake derek up. I was the one with the milk, not him. Even with the twins I did it all by myself (which caused some resentment when I looked over and saw derek sound asleep everynight)! Aren't we wonder woman?
And you are so nice to say you would do a MILLION nights like that... I can't say the same about the nights with my twins. If there were even 2 more months more of that horrific newborn time I think I would have bailed and hired me a nanny!!! HAHAH! Keep up the energy! IT WILL GET BETTER!!

Greg and Carly said...

She is darling! And it gets better :) Have you read babywise? It's really good and help me out a ton

Rannie said...

You have a talent for describing the whole night that has us older moms right there with you....wishing that we could have given you a moments or hours relief....you are an awewsome mom and these moments you are taking record your days and nights are one of the greatest gifts to you and Hailey....