Saturday, 9/19/09
11:20 a.m. Final visit to Dr. Young's office for my 39 week checkup. I'm two days from my due date and hoping for good news on a timely arrival.
11:45 a.m. Good News: Dr. Young tells me I'm dialated to a 3+ and 90% effaced. Baby is low and head down!
Bad News: My blood pressure is 141/92, (12 points higher then the week before) and Dr. Young is concerned about the headache I've had for the last three days...a strong sign of Preclampsia.
11:50 a.m. After reviewing my chart again, Dr. Young picks up the phone and calls the hospital next door and says...."Red Rover, Red Rover--I'm sending Rebecca right over!"--then he turns to me and says, "Well, your having a baby today!" All I could think was...(WHAT!?!!! I can't believe it!!!)
12:10 p.m. I do as I'm told and head straight over to the hospital (its literally about 20 feet from the clinic) and I give the labor and delivery nurse my name and tell her that Dr. Young sent me over. I also call Kyle and tell him that we are having a baby TODAY! He can't believe it and it takes some convincing for him to realize he needed to leave his internship and pick up my overnight bag from the house and head over immediately!!!
12:15-12:45 p.m. I get undressed, don the awesome and always flattering hospital gown, and just sit and wait for a nurse to begin my I.V. This was the only time I had to myself to really contemplate that I was about to be induced and go into labor!! (I'd been anxiously nervous for this moment my entire pregnancy!) By the end of the night, I'd be holding my little baby girl! WOW!
1:00 p.m. A nurse comes in and gives me my I.V. and starts my fluids. I call my parents and let them know whats going on. Kyle is also calling every 5 minutes or so from the house asking for a list of items he needs to bring up to the hospital. He sounds very excited-- I'm pretty nervous...!
1:15 p.m. I'm given my first dose of Pitocin...let the contractions begin!
1:30 p.m. Kyle and my sister finally arrive at the hospital! Missy gives me a pedicure while I wait for my active labor to start! It was awesome!!
3:30 p.m. Dr. Young comes in and tells me that he is going to break my water. Before I even have a second to think about that the nurse is lowering my bed and Dr. Young is getting his utensils out (yuck)! Before I knew it, water broken...
6:00 p.m. I'm now dialated to a 5 (ONLY A 5?!?, I came in at a 3+ five hours ago!) , and I can no longer talk through the contractions. I keep holding my breath during the contraction to brace through the pain. (I did remember that you are not suppose to do that, but it was kind of an involuntary reaction to the pain!)
6:30 p.m. I'm ready for the epidural. Bring on the $2,000 pain killer! :)
7:00 p.m. I receive the epidural and feel the BEST I'VE FELT IN 9 MONTHS! haha....Seriously though, I'm now relaxed and can focus on doing what the nurses are telling me to do. I'm now watching the monitor to find my contractions.
8:00 p.m. In one hour I've dialated from a 5 to a 9! AWESOME, lets get pushing!
8:30 p.m. The nurse comes in and says Dr. Young has given us the green light to start pushing. My nerves start getting the best of me now, I try to think of everything I've heard and read about how to push correctly. I'm excited and nervous. Kyle is anxious and does everything the nurse tells him to in helping me push!
9:30 p.m. I've been pushing for 1 hour, the baby has moved down and only have a little way to go until she is through to the birth canal.
10:30 p.m. My second hour of pushing has come and gone and the baby has not progressed at all! The nurse is starting to look worried, because the baby had been in the birth canal for over an hour with no more movement. She tells me to keep trying and I am working as hard as I ever had!
11:00 p.m. I've been pushing for 2.5 hours and its is taking a toll on my body. I'm exhausted, I hadn't eaten or drank anything in 18 hours and I was pushing with everything I had. I can now feel the contractions and it is helping me push but the progression is so slow--will this baby ever come!?
11:10 & 11:20 & 11:30 p.m. Now vomiting after every 10 contractions--lovely...
11:30 p.m. I get the news that Dr. Young is recommending he come in a use tools to get this baby out. The baby has been in the birth canal for so long that if she stays much longer, she may be at risk for respiratory problems. I HATED it, but agreed to have Dr. Young begin helping me by using forceps while I pushed. I was terrified of the harm those tools could do to my little babe!! Dr. Young calls in a respiratory specialist to help monitor the baby as soon as she's born. My delivery room is now crowded with three nurses, Dr. Young and a another doctor along with his nurse assistant. Everyone is poised and ready...now we just need her to arrive!
Sunday, 9/20/2009
12: 13 a.m. After another 1/2 hour or so of pushing, and encouragement from my doctor--Hailey Rose Monson is born! I didn't get to see her first. She was handed off to the respiratory specialist and stayed with him and two nurses for nearly 15 minutes!! I was dying to see my baby so I tried looking over into the incubator while they were working on her but there were too many people crowding the space! However, I could hear her crying and already knew she was beautiful!
12:30 a.m. The doctor confirms that she is healthy and well, with only minor bruising from the brutal delivery she went through. I finally get to hold my baby after Kyle brings her to me. She is beautiful, has tons of dark hair, steel blue eyes and is a whopping 21.5 inches and 8 lbs 4 oz!
WHEW! There it is! It wasn't quite how I expected things to go but everything turned out wonderful! Turns out those forceps can be brutal to both baby and momma...so my recovery is a little longer than usual. I spent the next couple days in the hospital and we took our precious Hailey home in excellent condition.
We just LOVE HER!!
We just LOVE HER!!
6 comments:
That's awesome....and can you tell Missy to come give me a pedicure during labor. What a good sister! I'm glad everything went well. Again, Hailey is so cute.
yeah! i was so excited to read it! but now I have a couple more questions...but I will ask them in person...Yeah!
Congrats you guys! I also pushed for a long time... 3 hours, didn't know I had that much strength. Not very fun, but so worth it, huh?
She is beautiful!!!
WOW. That was intense. I am so glad that you are both doing great. We can't wait to meet her.
I just loved reading that! No one can explain all the emotions you are feeling while going through that, it is just a miracle. I hope you are doing better and recovering FAST! And hoping that infection has passed.
i can't believe what you had to go through to get her out!! sheeesh! you are so awesome becca. oh, and what does 'steel blue' eyes mean?
Post a Comment